Coffee / Manowar

Stephen Swann swann at PHANTOM.COM
Thu Nov 16 17:56:46 EST 1995

ROBODUDE dixit:

> >Man-O-War is a metal band that reached their peak in the height of the
> >Thrash-Metal movement...they're a 3 piece band that wear like (not sure how
> >to describe it...) Viking garb...they're not very good, IMO...

Well, it depends on what you mean by good.  Their first 4 albums are
excellent thrash metal, with a fantasy and heroic epic bent.  It's a
little cheesy with all that he-man "real rockers vs. posers" stance they
took, but their hearts (if not their heads) :-) were in the right place.
And what really matters: the music is killer.  It's like a combination of
*really old* (like, early 70's) Scorpions, and Metallica, with scorching
guitar work, inspired riffs, and heavily atmospheric songs.  And the
lyrics are really better than a bunch of dunderheads like them should have
been able to manage.  Notice that I'm carefully avoiding saying that
they're good.  ;-)

Of course, after _Hail to England_ (their masterpiece, IMO), they started
getting commercial, and the whole thing started to actually be as tacky as
it sounds.

Steve