Kerrang!

Imaginos cis4 at ABER.AC.UK
Tue Nov 14 07:53:18 EST 1995

        I was looking through the Kerrang Direktory (sic) of Heavy Metal the
other day & I thought that the BOC entry might interest a few of you.
        BOC got a longer listing than most bands as they are (quite rightly,
IMHO) one of the big K's all time top 50 bands.
        Anyway, heres the entry:
                Blue Oyster Cult:USA, five-piece (1969 - present)
Legend has it that Eric Bloom formed BOC to exact his revenge on the 60's!
Bloom was small, but no hippy. The classic line-up was, in fact, an
extra-terrestrial strike force, a stun guitar showdown and heavier than the
whole planet. The liberal gurus on the West Coast worried about the New
Yorkers symbolism and humourously-intended menice on such early albums as
'ST' & 'T&M'. Undeterred, BOC revelled in their image as the Grateful Dead's
worst nightmare. Throughout the 70's the band came to glorify the power,
volume and wit of music that would eventually become known universally as
Heavy Metal...
(There is then an extensive band history which I'm sure most of the list
knows already, so I won't write it out, but if anybody wants it, I'm
prepared to at a later date - if I'm asked nicely).
...After writing 90% of the material on 1992's soundtrack album for the 'Bad
Channels' movie, the 90's have witnessed one of the worlds greatest &
strangest Heavy Metal bands of all time return to the live arena with a
vengeance. Still armed, still dangerous & still refusing to grow old peacefully!
         Albums:
(K=crap, KK=average, KKK=good, KKKK=great, KKKKK=essential)

Blue Oyster Cult (Columbia, 1971 - KKK)
Energetic if slightly muddled debut that nonetheless was a strong indicator
of the mayhem to follow...

Tyranny & Mutation (Columbia, 1973 - KKK)
Consistent with their debut's blueprint but yet to deliver any knockout punch.

Secret Treaties (Columbia, 1974 - KKKKK)
A veritable classic & one that finally encompassed the band's power &
menace. Also notable for the lyrical involvement of Patti Smith.

OYFOOYK (Columbia, 1975 - KKKK)
Shakily produced but still a suitably sinister live experience.

AOF (Columbia, 1976 - KKKKK)
Compulsory listening for any aspiring rock star & not just for the biggie (DFtR)

Spectres (Columbia, 1977 - KKK)
Safe but reliable follow up.

SEE (Columbia, 1978 - KKKKK)
Classic live album featuring the strongest material on offer at the time.

Mirrors (Columbia, 1978 - KKK)
Slicker than expected but worth hearing for 'The Vigil' & 'I Am The Storm'
alone.

CE (Columbia, 1980 - KK)
Weak, but succesful selling set of dodgy Sci-fi, aided by novelist Michael
Moorcock.

FOUO (Columbia, 1981 - KKKK)
Most notable for the unexpected hit in the shape of the bizarrely-titled
'Joan Crawford Has Risen From The Grave'! (sic)

ETL (Columbia, 1982 - K)
"Do we really need ANOTHER live recording?" - Kerrang! 17, June 3-16, 1982

TRBN (Columbia, 1983 - KKK)
"Sure, most of the songs are good but there is little 'Cult cohesion." -
Kerrang! 55, November 17-30, 1983

CN (Columbia, 1985 - KK)
"Why, you can even rebel in your own living room by chanting 'Rock Not
War'!" - Kerrang! 110 December 26-Jan 8, 1985

Imaginos (Columbia, 1988 - KKKK)
"What the bloody hell is it?" - Kerrang! 200, August 13, 1988

Bad Channels (Moonstone, 1992 - KKK)
Movie soundtrack, two new 'Cult songs.

Theres also some quotes from EB & BD which I'll stick on a separate posting.