R&R Hall of Fame

Stephen Swann swann at PHANTOM.COM
Thu Nov 9 09:28:41 EST 1995

> From: Andrew Gilham <emphyrio at CIX.COMPULINK.CO.UK>
> Subject:      Re: R&R Hall of Fame

> > Also, the only info. this page had on BOC was birth dates of band
> > members.  I
> > was dismayed not to find any BOC songs on the list of "Top 500 most
> > Influential Songs of All Time."  Some of the ones on there are a joke.
>
> Oh I don't know, it seemed sound enough to me.  I would have pressed for
> a little more Doors ("LA Woman", maybe), and Springsteen's "Thunder
> Road", but was very pleased to see Patti Smith's "Gloria" in there (and
> surprised too, 'cause I expected "Because the Night" instead).
>
> What BOC did you expect?  You could maybe make a case for "Reaper", but
> that's about it.

I think you're dead wrong, there.  Remember that it's supposed to be a
list of the top 500 most infuential songs, not the most popular.  Reaper
was a popular tune, but what band ever said "lets do some tunes like
Reaper'"?  On the other hand, you can hear echoes of Cities on Flame and
The Red and the Black (often cited as the first "speed metal" song,
however accuate that appelation may be) everywhere.

Steve